By Cheryl Griffin Below is a list of the old boys of Coburg High School who served in World War One. Most of them were in the first intake of pupils into the school in 1912, just a few years before hostilities began. The rest (Bowen, Buzaglo, Groves, Head, Jarvie, Scott, Sherlock, Tait, Templeton […]
Category: Uncategorized
Migration story – recent arrival
Madiha arrived in Australia in 2013 from Pakistan with her husband and two children. Initially they settled in Glenroy with family and then moved to Fawkner. Madiha is a qualified doctor in Pakistan and worked in a hospital and clinic. Her qualifications are not recognised in Australia so she would need to undertake more study. […]

Albert Street Milkbar
The Albert Street Milkbar on Albert Street in Brunswick was located opposite the East Brunswick High School and down the road from the Kortex Knitwear factory. We bought the milkbar business when we moved back from the USA in 1978. We opened the shop every morning at 7.30am and closed at 11pm every night. The […]
The Title Fight
In the Argus, 22nd November 1886. Assault by a Pugilist.— W. Farnan, a prizefighter, appeared on summons on Thursday at the District Court, on the complaint of Robert E. Rowley, whom he was said to have assaulted at Bevan’s iron works, Latrobe- street west. Complainant was accused by deFix this textfendant of supplanting him in […]
Northumberland Road Footbridge
Until the mid 60s, Northumberland Road was in two parts. In the middle over Westbreen Creek was a small foorbridge. I used to go there often and watch the water flow and whatever flowed in it and on the surface. The council decided that progress must be made. The footbridge was removed, the creek flow […]
Former Otto Wurth Smallgoods Factory, Preston Junction – Part 2
(1) Before the tall apartment building was built. the corner of Dundas St & Plenty Rd had been the site of a significant small goods business since 1862. This and the Huttons ham factory (nearby in Oakover Rd) and with the various tanning businesses further along led to Preston being dubbed the ‘Porkopolis’ of Melbourne. […]
Former Otto Wurth Smallgoods Factory, Preston Junction – Part 1
Before the tall apartment building was built, the corner of Dundas St & Plenty Rd had been the site of a significant small goods business. This and the Huttons ham factory (nearby in Oakover Rd) and with the various tanning businesses further along led to Preston being dubbed the ‘Porkopolis’ of Melbourne. William Watson & […]
Caledonian Hotel
211 Weston Street The Caledonian Hotel was built in 1866/7 of bluestone from the nearby quarries which it served. It was rebuilt in brick in 1925. The word “Caledonian” means “Scotsman” but if this is a clue to the origins of the hotel then the connection is now obscure. The establishment is in a quiet […]

Reverend Alfred Charles Kellaway
The Reverend Kellaway served 29 years as the vicar of All Saints Church of England, Northcote. (The foundation stone of the church – situated on the south-eastern corner of High and Walker Streets – were laid in January 1859 by the Governor Sir Henry Barkly. The church held services from August 1860). Born in Dorset […]

Edward Richard Bailey, J.P.
Born on June 9, 1844, Bailey arrived in Tasmania in March 1860 on board “The Hope” with his parents from the village of Worthing in Sussex. The sixteen-year old Bailey originally worked as a baker in Launceston at 7/6 per week and saved enough money after three years to move to Melbourne where he worked […]