Caledonian Hotel

211 Weston Street The Caledonian Hotel was built in 1866/7 of bluestone from the nearby quarries which it served. It was rebuilt in brick in 1925. The word “Caledonian” means “Scotsman” but if this is a clue to the origins of the hotel then the connection is now obscure. The establishment is in a quiet […]

Read More

Marble Hall

The following article is reproduced by permission of Noel Withers and extracted from “Banyule City Council Spring Outdoors Programme 2008: Greensborough & the Plenty River Pioneer Trail With Dennis Ward & Noel Withers. A ramble from the lower part of town and along the river bank learning about historic sites and the pioneering families that […]

Read More

Alphington Hotel

In 1861 Thomas Freeman opened a coaching inn on the west side of Heidelberg Road in Alphington.  The hotel served travellers moving to and from the Plenty Valley and was one of several hotels in very close proximity. In 1864 35 year old Joseph Foulkes arrived at Alphington Hotel as the new publican, bring his […]

Read More

Farmers Arms Hotel

The following article is reproduced by permission of Noel Withers and extracted from “Banyule City Council Spring Outdoors Programme 2008: Greensborough & the Plenty River Pioneer Trail With Dennis Ward & Noel Withers. A ramble from the lower part of town and along the river bank learning about historic sites and the pioneering families that […]

Read More

Peacock Inn Hotel

On 7th September 1854 Horace Bastings applied for a liquor license for the Peacock Inn. Whilst Horace was building the Peacock Inn, his brother Edwin was building the general store across the road. The next year Horace passed the license on to 21 year old George Plant, a recent arrival in the colony who became […]

Read More